Skip to main content

The Sheepdog

The Chief Shepherd

Take a look at this photo. What do you see? A shepherd--some sheep--and what?

The sheepdog! The trusted old sheepdog.

If Jesus is the good shepherd and His sheep know His voice, then how can anyone else be a shepherd of His flock?

Peter left us with this instruction, "So I exhort the elders among you...shepherd the flock of God that is among you, exercising oversight, not under compulsion, but willingly, as God would have you; not for shameful gain, but eagerly; not domineering over those in your charge, but being examples to the flock. And when the chief Shepherd appears, you will receive the unfading crown of glory".



The sheepdog

Within the bible we find many illustrations about shepherds and sheep, but there is much variation in how the comparison is used.
Here is an example that Jesus used about sheep: 'Behold, I am sending you out as sheep in the midst of wolves, so be wise as serpents and innocent as doves'. 
I think we can all agree that 'sheep' and 'wise' should never be put together--sheep are the epitome of dumb!
So Jesus just called us dumb and told us to be wise. Thanks, Jesus. Love you too.
Seriously though, we are as dumb as sheep, but with the Spirit who is within us, we have the ability to be wise.
"For all who are led by the Spirit of God are sons of God."

The sheepdog, though not THE shepherd, is left to do the work of a shepherd while the shepherd is away.




We have two Great Pyrenees shepherd dogs. They are the best shepherds I have ever seen. They love their flock and will die for them, yet they are gentle and loving when there is no threat.

What a picture of an under-shepherd!!

They are ready at all hours to fend off predators, but like sheep, they need rest, food, protection from the elements and love and approval from their master.


Sheep, consider your sheepdog

If your position in the body of Christ is one of a sheep, consider your sheepdog. Sheepdogs are called to a challenging task. Love your sheepdog.

"Obey your leaders[sheepdogs] and submit to them, for they are keeping watch over your souls, as those who will have to give an account. 
Let them do this with joy and not with groaning, for that would be of no advantage to you".

We used to have sheep back when we lived in Montana.

Sheep are dumb.
Sheep fight with one another.
Sheep eat what they shouldn't--because they are dumb.
Sheep get lost--because they are dumb.
Link: You are so dumb...
Sheep will get tangled up in fences.
Sheep will watch other sheep get eaten alive and not help or run away because they are dumb.
Sheep don't like their sheepdog.
Sheep are dumb.

Here is where the sheep illustration breaks down:

"For though by this time you ought to be teachers, you need someone to teach you again the basic principles of the oracles of God. 
You need milk, not solid food, for everyone who lives on milk is unskilled in the word of righteousness, since he is a child. 
But solid food is for the mature, for those who have their powers of discernment trained by constant practice to distinguish good from evil".

Sheep need to grow out of being sheep. It's possible--it's expected. We need more sheepdogs.

Release your inner sheepdog.

Sheepdog in sheep's clothing?



Sheepdog, consider your sheep

" But if the sheepdog trains his sheep to be sheepdogs he'll be out of a job", says the insecure sheepdog.
Sheepdog, think about it, the more sheepdogs you train the easier your job gets and the safer the sheep will be.
God will always provide more sheep. Don't hoard sheep. Protect them, train them and send them out to do likewise.




My dream

Seventeen years ago I had a dream.
It's the only dream I have ever had that I think was from God.
In my dream I was walking around a grass field on elevated land. I was trying to catch my friend so I could tell him about Jesus, but every time I got near, he would blast ahead.
When I had about given up hope, God came to me and told me to turn around. I looked down in the field and saw sheep grazing.
With a jolt, some wolves in sheep's clothing jumped up and began ravaging the sheep. I panicked.
God said, "Don't worry about your friend, I have him. Go after them".
I can see this dream in my mind as clear as I saw it seventeen years ago. I put no other meaning on it other than--'go after them'.
Go find and protect my sheep.

Won't you join me?


Song:
True Love


If you are not on my email list and want my weekly blog, please click the 'subscribe' button.




Comments

  1. I really enjoy the way that you use catchy references in your writing (Wil E. Coyote pic, 'Hide yo' Wives' YouTube...).

    - TB12

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I Believe; Help My Unbelief!

When doubt comes knocking We say we believe. But believe what? We believe Jesus, yes. So why do we doubt then? If we doubt, does this make us unbelievers? Hypocrites? Some days it sure feels like it! Doesn't it? In the book of Mark, it is written that a man came up to Jesus and asked him to heal his son. The man specifically asked Jesus IF he can help him. Jesus responded, "' If you can’? All things are possible for one who believes ”. Jesus emphasized the "If you can", as if to say, "Of course I can, but WILL I, is the question". And, "Will you believe that I will"? The man replied, "I believe; help my unbelief"! Do you ever doubt? Do you ever not believe? Liar If you say you don't doubt as a "believer", then you are a liar. We all doubt, but does this unbelief disqualify us from being a child of God? James says, " 6 But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for the one who doubts is l

You're Not Invited to My Church

Upon arriving in Alabama I was told that everyone would ask me which team I chose and they would then invite me to their church. " Which team "? " What are my options "? I asked. Being the good Yankee that I am, I still have not chosen a team after eight years of residency in good old Alabama. As a matter of fact, I haven't even watched a football game. The invite "If you haven't found a church home, I'd like to invite you to ours" " Hmm, that's funny, you haven't even asked me if I am a believer" ? "Why would I want to come to your church" ? I got invited to dozens of churches the first year I was here. After the pleasant, " You ain't from around here ", I always received the gracious invite. Strangely, I rarely ever get asked where I am from anymore, and I never get invited to church. I'm not sure why I don't get asked where I'm from anymore, but while I was writing this bl

Fear Factor

What do you fear? Fear falling? Fear dying? Fear losing a family member? Fear losing a job? Fear losing money? Fear losing health? Fear that others don't like you? Fear the Boogy Man? What is it that you fear? God instructs us to fear Him. Is fearing God the same as fearing spiders? Don't skim too quickly through the following quotations--let them sink in. Jesus had this to say about fear: “ I tell you, my friends, do not fear those who kill the body, and after that have nothing more that they can do. But I will warn you whom to fear: fear him who, after he has killed, has authority to cast into hell. Yes, I tell you, fear him! Are not five sparrows sold for two pennies? And not one of them is forgotten before God. Why, even the hairs of your head are all numbered. Fear not; you are of more value than many sparrows ." And John tells us this: "God is love, and whoever abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him. By this is love perfecte