Skip to main content

I Pray, In Jesus' Name



Stirring up trouble

Mention praying in a Christian crowd and you will invoke all kinds of emotions. Some will feel guilty, "I don't pray enough", some will feel insecure, "I don't know how to pray", some will rejoice, "I love to pray". All of these reactions are understandable--after all--praying is wonderful, yet serious business. It's talking with the creator of the universe.

With a little bit of knowledge it shouldn't be something feared, though. Jesus gave us everything we need. The most important thing He did was give us direct access to God the Father. We don't need priests or anybody else--we may go directly and boldly to the Father because of Jesus.

Free, clean and forgiven

See here in the book of Hebrews where we are told what has opened the door for us:
Hebrews 4:14-16 "Therefore, since we have a great high priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our confession. For we do not have a high priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but One who has been tempted in all things as we are, yet without sin. Therefore let us draw near with confidence to the throne of grace, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need".
Do you realize what that says? That says, God, your Father, is waiting to talk with you. You are free, clean, forgiven and in the family. You have full and open access to talk with God.

So, with that in mind, how do we do it? Well, technically, there is no wrong way for His children to talk with Him, but it does help to understand a little about God, so we may speak more reverently or appropriately. God understands when we screw it all up, but at the same time, He is God and deserves some reverence.

Clarification

First we have to ask ourselves who we are talking with. God? The Father? The Son? The Holy Spirit? Well, we can talk with any of them, but there is a more normal pattern that is assumed in the scriptures. When Jesus specifically instructed how to pray, He said this:
Matthew 6:6-13 "But you, when you pray, go into your inner room, close your door and pray to your Father who is in secret, and your Father who sees what is done in secret will reward you. And when you are praying, do not use meaningless repetition as the Gentiles do, for they suppose that they will be heard for their many words. So do not be like them; for your Father knows what you need before you ask Him. Pray, then, in this way: ‘Our Father who is in heaven, Hallowed be Your name. Your kingdom come. Your will be done, On earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors. And do not lead us into temptation, but deliver us from evil. For Yours is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever. Amen'".
This is pretty clear in instructing us to pray to our Father. While the content may change, Jesus gives us a general list about life's important issues.

Some important things Jesus teaches us here should not be missed.


  • First: He tells us to pray to your Father in secret--in other words--don't make pretentious prayers to impress people within ear shot. We pray out loud together in church meetings, but this is not, should not, be to impress anyone, but rather to share our communication with each other. If all those listening agree with the prayers, we simply say, "amen", which means we agree. This is community prayer.



  • Second: He tells us not to use meaningless repetition. In other words, speak normal.



  • Third: He tells us that our Father knows what we need--even before we ask. This is slightly confusing and wonderfully beautiful at the same time. Confusing in that, why ask if He knows, but wonderful in that He knows us intimately. Like a parent, He knows what we need, but He loves to converse with us and hear us say our needs, desires and wants.




We're so confused

Sometimes we don't know what we need, desire or want; in these cases the Holy Spirit helps us. See here what it says in:
Romans 8:26-27 "In the same way the Spirit also helps our weakness; for we do not know how to pray as we should, but the Spirit Himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words; and He who searches the hearts knows what the mind of the Spirit is, because He intercedes for the saints according to the will of God".
The Holy Spirit, who dwells within us, helps us. So, we pray to our Father with the help of the Spirit who dwells within us.

But what about Jesus?

Where does this leave Him? Well, He is sitting at the right hand of our Father interceding for us. See here:
Romans 8:34 "...Christ Jesus is He who died, yes, rather who was raised, who is at the right hand of God, who also intercedes for us".
When we pray, or come before God's throne, our Father says, "What right do you have to come before me"? Jesus, sitting right there, says, "They are mine, Father. I died for them. They come in My name". You see, this is why we pray, "In Jesus' name". We have no right to be there in our own righteousness--in our name--but only in Jesus' name.

Be bold

So, as you pray, come boldly to God your Father, in the name of Jesus, with the help of the Holy Spirit. You can do it. You should do it. Talk with your Father today--talk with your Father often.




Comments

  1. Great summary! The older I've gotten (hopefully a bit wiser?) the more I've meditated & thought about the specific verbage used in the "Lord's"(?!?) (Disciples'!) prayer.
    "Give us THOS DAY our ''aily bread's..." NOT, "My fully funded 401K" or, "an unraided Social Security fund", etc., etc. ;)
    SO hard in such an affluent Society to "let go" of our subliminal desire for security & the illusion of control. {:]

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I Believe; Help My Unbelief!

When doubt comes knocking We say we believe. But believe what? We believe Jesus, yes. So why do we doubt then? If we doubt, does this make us unbelievers? Hypocrites? Some days it sure feels like it! Doesn't it? In the book of Mark, it is written that a man came up to Jesus and asked him to heal his son. The man specifically asked Jesus IF he can help him. Jesus responded, "' If you can’? All things are possible for one who believes ”. Jesus emphasized the "If you can", as if to say, "Of course I can, but WILL I, is the question". And, "Will you believe that I will"? The man replied, "I believe; help my unbelief"! Do you ever doubt? Do you ever not believe? Liar If you say you don't doubt as a "believer", then you are a liar. We all doubt, but does this unbelief disqualify us from being a child of God? James says, " 6 But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for the one who doubts is l

You're Not Invited to My Church

Upon arriving in Alabama I was told that everyone would ask me which team I chose and they would then invite me to their church. " Which team "? " What are my options "? I asked. Being the good Yankee that I am, I still have not chosen a team after eight years of residency in good old Alabama. As a matter of fact, I haven't even watched a football game. The invite "If you haven't found a church home, I'd like to invite you to ours" " Hmm, that's funny, you haven't even asked me if I am a believer" ? "Why would I want to come to your church" ? I got invited to dozens of churches the first year I was here. After the pleasant, " You ain't from around here ", I always received the gracious invite. Strangely, I rarely ever get asked where I am from anymore, and I never get invited to church. I'm not sure why I don't get asked where I'm from anymore, but while I was writing this bl

Fear Factor

What do you fear? Fear falling? Fear dying? Fear losing a family member? Fear losing a job? Fear losing money? Fear losing health? Fear that others don't like you? Fear the Boogy Man? What is it that you fear? God instructs us to fear Him. Is fearing God the same as fearing spiders? Don't skim too quickly through the following quotations--let them sink in. Jesus had this to say about fear: “ I tell you, my friends, do not fear those who kill the body, and after that have nothing more that they can do. But I will warn you whom to fear: fear him who, after he has killed, has authority to cast into hell. Yes, I tell you, fear him! Are not five sparrows sold for two pennies? And not one of them is forgotten before God. Why, even the hairs of your head are all numbered. Fear not; you are of more value than many sparrows ." And John tells us this: "God is love, and whoever abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him. By this is love perfecte