Skip to main content

Unity--Conformity--Anonymity?



Backsliders

"Did you see that Betty wore pants to 'church' last week"?
"I did! And her husband wore jeans"!
"Well I think the pastor needs to get a backbone and say something before the whole 'church' falls apart. He needs to tell them that they are being rebellious and disrupting the unity of the entire congregation".

I have never heard this exact conversation, but I know many of you have--or at least you have heard about it. I happens far too often and in far too many ways throughout the body of Christ.

What is unity?

The New Testament speaks often about unity. It's a constant theme. But what exactly is it and how does it differ from conformity? Is the church around the globe to be unified or just each individual local gathering?
Paul says, "I appeal to you, brothers, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you agree, and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be united in the same mind and the same judgment".

But Paul also says, "One person esteems one day as better than another, while another esteems all days alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind".

There are so many references to this subject that it is hard to select just a few to make a discussion, but the key is that there are many strong references to maintaining unity and also strong references to respecting each other's differing beliefs.

The question

What are we to unify around, if we are to respect each other's different beliefs?
How can we be unified if we believe differently?
How does unity look different than conformity?
There is a church term we use called "orthodox". From Webster's, orthodox is defined as: "conforming to established doctrine especially in religion".
Orthodoxy is what the church members MUST conform to or you don't belong.
But who decides what is orthodox?

Division in the 'church'

Are Presbyterian Christians, Methodist Christians and Baptist Christians unified? Or are they divided?

Why is anybody doing division in 'church' anyway? And why is it bad?
My 11 year old son is doing long division right now--is he not permitted to do it while at a church meeting?

When are we actually being divisive?
To some, anyone who has a different opinion from someone else is called divisive. Is this true?
In our "you offended me" culture it would be impossible to live by this standard. Most today get offended by every person who dares to think or believe differently than themselves.
Heck, we don't even agree with ourselves! How many times have you said, "I'm having conflicting feelings about such and such"?
And don't be too quick to say, "Amen, preach it brother Marc"!
You might be one of them, 'you offended me' persons. It is rampant in the 'church'.

Christians are called to "If possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all".
We are to strive for peace and not division, but some people will be offended by everything.
Don't be that person.
My friend, Israel Wayne, put it this way, "Getting offended is almost always a sign that we have an over-inflated view of our own self importance".
I heard Dave Ramsey put it this way:
"People are deeply sensitive in our highly self-important culture".

 Do you offend yourself when you can't make up your own mind?

Unity in diversity

That's a good cliché. I even use it. It's true, but it only means something if you define terms. Which is what I hope to accomplish here.

Universal church unity

The entire church--on the entire planet, must and can only unify around one thing. The death, burial and resurrection of Jesus Christ. In other words, the gospel, and our need for it.
Everything else is up for grabs. This doesn't mean everything else is true, but everything else can at least be debated.

Local church meetings

This is what we really care about anyway. What must we be unified on at our local meeting?
Must we all unify around the King James bible? Must we unify around method of baptism? Must we all unify around speaking in tongues? Must we unify on the Trinity? Must we all unify around the form of church government?
Clearly the answer to all is yes. And no. Maybe? Definitely the King James ONLY! Right!?

Seriously though, what must we unify around?
"Give me a list, Marc! I need a list!"
I can't.
God has left so many grey areas that the local believers who gather together to worship God are free to disagree on many things.


Cults

You will know that you are not unified, but cultified if everyone you meet with believes the exact same things. It's a lie. If everyone looks like you, smells like you, believes like you, dresses like you, eats like you and hates the same things as you---YOU ARE IN A CULT!
Definitely DO NOT drink the Kool-Aid! I don't care how good it tastes. Don't drink it!
What many of us really, really want is for others to conform to us. When we convince them to do this--we celebrate and call it unity.
That's not unity, it's conformity.

Anonymity

I heard a story about a small church gathering that had people come join them from some mega-church. The visitors complained that, "Since we have come here we are always debating petty bible issues. We never had that problem at our previous 'church'".



The reason they never had that problem at their previous 'church' is because nobody cared about what they believed.
Mega-churches tend to function more like conferences. You anonymously check in and listen to a speaker, then you go home.
There is no unity, and no conformity--only anonymity.
You must check your individual beliefs at the door when you come in. You are just a spectator.
The important people up front decide what you should believe. If you question anything, you are 'being divisive'.
I think it is odd that we can't even agree with our own selves, but we attempt to gather with hundreds or thousands and expect them to get along? Be unified.
Jesus gathered 12 around Him, yet we want thousands?
I'm thinking that maybe our local 'church' unity problem might just be more of a 'church' model problem. Perhaps not, it's mostly because of sin, but I think our 'bigger is better' mindset affects things.
I don't think that more than a small amount of people can gather locally and walk in true unity.
It's hard, let's just admit it. Let's stop forcing conformity(cults) and let's stop allowing anonymity(megachurches).
Going big doesn't help, it just makes it so nobody even tries. Anonymity is just easier.
Conformity doesn't help, it just binds the conscience of God's saints. Conforming is just easier.

Easy fix. Right?

Most local gatherings of Christians deal with the important, but grey(or maybe not so grey) areas, by developing a 'statement of faith'. This is a locally agreed upon list of beliefs that you must conform to in order to meet with this local group of Christians. These statements are meant to assist in unification, but unfortunately, many times they don't work. They don't work because we ignore them.
They are a tool. A good tool.

The shorter and simpler the list, the more realistic it is that it will actually be adhered to.
If too many people have to take exceptions with your statement of faith, you should take a good hard look to see if you are requiring more conformity than you should.

"No creed but Jesus" is too short.

The unifier

So how can we be unifiers?
I think the number one way to be a unifier in your local gathering is to get over yourself. We all think we are so important and that our beliefs are the best.
Trust me--I'm the king of this--just ask anyone! I've been known to walk away from a theological debate and say, "I crumpled that kid!".
But I also believe 'being right' can be done in a wonderful loving way. We all think we are right.
We can and should learn how to debate hot subjects that we hold near and dear without the fear of losing what we have.



I'd even be willing to hear a 'cat person' defend their beliefs. They are wrong, dogs rule, but I will listen and be open to having my mind changed. Just present the evidence! :)

Do you know, that other person you are debating might actually be right? Why don't you listen to them?
I have personally changed my beliefs so many times over the years I can't even count. Be sure though, you are not going to change my mind without a serious argument and credible proofs, but it does happen.

Debaters

We debaters have to be careful. If we debate for the sake of debating, we will be divisive and cause unnecessary arguments. Personally I have never ever done this, but I've heard about it happening (grin).
On the flip side, the non-debaters should spend a little time learning the art of healthy debate.
Listen to this strong statement that Paul makes:
"I, Paul, myself entreat you, by the meekness and gentleness of Christ—I who am humble when face to face with you, but bold toward you when I am away!— I beg of you that when I am present I may not have to show boldness with such confidence as I count on showing against some who suspect us of walking according to the flesh.
For though we walk in the flesh, we are not waging war according to the flesh. 
For the weapons of our warfare are not of the flesh but have divine power to destroy strongholds. 
We destroy arguments and every lofty opinion raised against the knowledge of God, and take every thought captive to obey Christ..."

We can do well in achieving our goal of unification by arguing carefully.
Debate motivated by love is healthy and actually helpful, but there is a time and place for everything.
Disagreements are healthy, but arguing just for the sake of it is not healthy.

Jesus was un-offendable.
Let's try to be like Jesus.
He promised He would do this by the Holy Spirit who dwells within us. We can become un-offendable.

Here's a cliché we can unify around:

In the essential teachings of scripture, unity, in non-essentials liberty, in all things love

Let's not be anonymous and let's not conform against our consciences--let's learn to unify.

We would do well to spend much time in the following scriptures. Ask God to make them become a reality in your life. Ask Him to help your unbelief.

On diversity:
Romans 14, Colossians 2:16, 1 Corinthians 8, Galatians 4:10, 1 Timothy 4:3

On unity:
1 Corinthians 1:10-11, Ephesians 4:1-3, Ephesians 4:11-14, Philippians 2:1-4, Colossians 3:12-14 and 1 Peter 3:8.

Or just gather your friends in a circle around the campfire and sing Kum Ba Yah. Let me know if it works out.

Song:
Sometimes Alleluia






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Believe; Help My Unbelief!

When doubt comes knocking We say we believe. But believe what? We believe Jesus, yes. So why do we doubt then? If we doubt, does this make us unbelievers? Hypocrites? Some days it sure feels like it! Doesn't it? In the book of Mark, it is written that a man came up to Jesus and asked him to heal his son. The man specifically asked Jesus IF he can help him. Jesus responded, "' If you can’? All things are possible for one who believes ”. Jesus emphasized the "If you can", as if to say, "Of course I can, but WILL I, is the question". And, "Will you believe that I will"? The man replied, "I believe; help my unbelief"! Do you ever doubt? Do you ever not believe? Liar If you say you don't doubt as a "believer", then you are a liar. We all doubt, but does this unbelief disqualify us from being a child of God? James says, " 6 But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for the one who doubts is l

You're Not Invited to My Church

Upon arriving in Alabama I was told that everyone would ask me which team I chose and they would then invite me to their church. " Which team "? " What are my options "? I asked. Being the good Yankee that I am, I still have not chosen a team after eight years of residency in good old Alabama. As a matter of fact, I haven't even watched a football game. The invite "If you haven't found a church home, I'd like to invite you to ours" " Hmm, that's funny, you haven't even asked me if I am a believer" ? "Why would I want to come to your church" ? I got invited to dozens of churches the first year I was here. After the pleasant, " You ain't from around here ", I always received the gracious invite. Strangely, I rarely ever get asked where I am from anymore, and I never get invited to church. I'm not sure why I don't get asked where I'm from anymore, but while I was writing this bl

Fear Factor

What do you fear? Fear falling? Fear dying? Fear losing a family member? Fear losing a job? Fear losing money? Fear losing health? Fear that others don't like you? Fear the Boogy Man? What is it that you fear? God instructs us to fear Him. Is fearing God the same as fearing spiders? Don't skim too quickly through the following quotations--let them sink in. Jesus had this to say about fear: “ I tell you, my friends, do not fear those who kill the body, and after that have nothing more that they can do. But I will warn you whom to fear: fear him who, after he has killed, has authority to cast into hell. Yes, I tell you, fear him! Are not five sparrows sold for two pennies? And not one of them is forgotten before God. Why, even the hairs of your head are all numbered. Fear not; you are of more value than many sparrows ." And John tells us this: "God is love, and whoever abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him. By this is love perfecte