Skip to main content

Fathers---There is Hope





Bum dads

One of the most natural instincts of a father is to protect and train his children. Would any of us deny this? Yet we find ourselves in a situation in our country where there is an overwhelming abundance of bum dads and inadequate dads. What has happened? How did we get here?

Am I a bum dad?

Even for us who try to do right, we know we are so ill-trained and inadequate. Is there hope?
Yes!
We can turn this trend around one family at a time--beginning with you. Will it be easy?
No.
Will it be worth it?
Absolutely!



Destined for destruction

You probably could not find someone who, at twenty years old, would be more likely to be voted as "future bum dad" than me. I'm not afraid to say it. Divorce sucks--and its consequences are even worse. Divorce happens, but we take the cards we are dealt and move forward.

But how?

How does a young man find the ability, wisdom and knowledge how to be a good dad?
It starts with our Father in heaven who created us.
Sin has marred this creation, but His ways will guide us. Sin is the reason for our screwed up families.
We lie, we hate, we get selfish, we lust, etc, etc, etc. Sin destroys all of our relationships, but repentance brings renewal. When we confess to God our complete lack of obedience to Him, and our utter failure, the doors will open to us.
The freedom of a restored relationship with our Father in heaven will free us to fight against sinful desires and make change. By the Holy Spirit who dwells within us.

A father

When I first believed God and turned from my failures--sin, I saw God for who He was--a Father who was willing to sacrifice his Son to free us.
Even though I saw God's great love for us, I still struggled to relate to Him as a father. Growing up without a father, I had no reference for this kind of relationship.
It actually took me about three years before I could relate to Him as a father. I knew Him as Lord--I prayed to Jesus--but an intimate loving father took a while. I takes time to gain trust.
As a relationship develops, trust develops.

In the letter to the Hebrews it says: "In your struggle against sin you have not yet resisted to the point of shedding your blood. And have you forgotten the exhortation that addresses you as sons? 
'My son, do not regard lightly the discipline of the Lord, nor be weary when reproved by him. For the Lord disciplines the one he loves, and chastises every son whom he receives.' 
It is for discipline that you have to endure. God is treating you as sons." 

When I began to see Him as the example of a loving father, I began to grow in that relationship. I had to learn to trust, love, receive discipline, communicate, etc. These things take time, unless you had them modeled for you. We live in a culture that has been growing in its hatred for the family and we are reaping the consequences.




Fathers, don't be afraid to admit your failures and inadequacies. Don't try and find where to lay the blame--the buck stops with you.
Set your heart on your home and begin making changes today. It won't be easy, but what in life worth having ever comes easily?
Find other fathers who have succeeded and get their counsel. You'd be hard pressed to find a successful godly father who doesn't want to tell you all about it. Find them.

Successful dads

Successful dads--where are you? Who are you discipling? Don't hoard your knowledge and wisdom--we need it shared with the next generation.
Don't assume, "they'll just figure it out on their own." Go get them! Train them.



If you are not on my email list and want my weekly blog, please click the 'subscribe' button.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Believe; Help My Unbelief!

When doubt comes knocking We say we believe. But believe what? We believe Jesus, yes. So why do we doubt then? If we doubt, does this make us unbelievers? Hypocrites? Some days it sure feels like it! Doesn't it? In the book of Mark, it is written that a man came up to Jesus and asked him to heal his son. The man specifically asked Jesus IF he can help him. Jesus responded, "' If you can’? All things are possible for one who believes ”. Jesus emphasized the "If you can", as if to say, "Of course I can, but WILL I, is the question". And, "Will you believe that I will"? The man replied, "I believe; help my unbelief"! Do you ever doubt? Do you ever not believe? Liar If you say you don't doubt as a "believer", then you are a liar. We all doubt, but does this unbelief disqualify us from being a child of God? James says, " 6 But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for the one who doubts is l

You're Not Invited to My Church

Upon arriving in Alabama I was told that everyone would ask me which team I chose and they would then invite me to their church. " Which team "? " What are my options "? I asked. Being the good Yankee that I am, I still have not chosen a team after eight years of residency in good old Alabama. As a matter of fact, I haven't even watched a football game. The invite "If you haven't found a church home, I'd like to invite you to ours" " Hmm, that's funny, you haven't even asked me if I am a believer" ? "Why would I want to come to your church" ? I got invited to dozens of churches the first year I was here. After the pleasant, " You ain't from around here ", I always received the gracious invite. Strangely, I rarely ever get asked where I am from anymore, and I never get invited to church. I'm not sure why I don't get asked where I'm from anymore, but while I was writing this bl

Fear Factor

What do you fear? Fear falling? Fear dying? Fear losing a family member? Fear losing a job? Fear losing money? Fear losing health? Fear that others don't like you? Fear the Boogy Man? What is it that you fear? God instructs us to fear Him. Is fearing God the same as fearing spiders? Don't skim too quickly through the following quotations--let them sink in. Jesus had this to say about fear: “ I tell you, my friends, do not fear those who kill the body, and after that have nothing more that they can do. But I will warn you whom to fear: fear him who, after he has killed, has authority to cast into hell. Yes, I tell you, fear him! Are not five sparrows sold for two pennies? And not one of them is forgotten before God. Why, even the hairs of your head are all numbered. Fear not; you are of more value than many sparrows ." And John tells us this: "God is love, and whoever abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him. By this is love perfecte