Skip to main content

When God doesn't Heal.


"Why don't we go to the elders and have them anoint me with oil and pray over me", asked Maggie when she was sick and near death.
"Why don't we"? "Why don't we"? I asked myself. "Why"?
"I don't know. I suppose we could".
"Well, it says in the bible to go to the elders if you are sick", Maggie said.
"I know".

After some time, maybe six months? I don't know, but after waaaaay too much time, I finally agreed to go to the elders and have them anoint Maggie with oil and pray for her.

Why so long? One reason--unbelief. Which of course, is rooted in pride.
I am a Mr. Fix it, so I felt like we could handle it without 'bothering' any one else. Wrong.
Also, I had an unbelieving attitude that thought if God chose not to heal Maggie then we'd be embarrassed. That sounds so odd and stupid even to say it in a sentence. Have I not even read the bible? God chooses to heal some and not others all the time. Why should we be any different? Unbelief? Pride? Fill in your sin of choice. Go ahead, judge me, I am.

The anointing

The day came when Maggie went to the elders just as James instructs us to. They anointed her with oil and prayed for her.
Now the waiting.
Come on God--where is the lightning? The loud clap of thunder and deep voice from heaven.
"This is my beloved daughter and I heal her".

Nothing.

We went home.

Nothing.

Then something!


It was a miracle! Maggie was raised from the dead!!!

Just kidding.

No, she wasn't. As a matter of fact, she only got better slowly after doctor visits, diet change and thyroid meds. Five years later she still suffers with chronic illness.

So what was the something?

The something was the change in our hearts. We realized we did the right thing. We knew that God does miracles to bring glory to Himself and to send or confirm a certain message. God doesn't heal us just because we ask. If it's not in His plans--it ain't going to happen.

We obeyed. Just as we should. We included the 'church' in our problem; they did their part and we thanked God.

If we don't ask, we already know the answer, but when we ask, we glorify our Father in heaven. We show our faith and dependence on Him.

"Is anyone among you sick? Let him call for the elders of the church, and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord."

Symbols

Just as baptism or eating the bread and wine doesn't actually do anything, so it is with going to the elders for prayer and anointing.
There is nothing in the prayer itself--or the oil--but it is a symbol of our faith before our Father. An "appeal" to God.
As Peter says,  "Baptism, which corresponds to this, now saves you, not as a removal of dirt from the body but as an appeal to God for a good conscience, through the resurrection of Jesus Christ"
Baptism represents our being washed and also Paul says it represents our dying and resurrection with Christ.
The bread represents Jesus' body. The wine represents Jesus' blood.
The oil represents the Holy Spirit being poured out on us.
The oil reminds us that we have been given the Holy Spirit as a pledge.
All the symbols remind us that we are eternally healed.

Let's decide today to do this often.
Yes, the elders and the rest of the church can pray from home, but God gave us a better way. Let's do as He has said.
I'll even take it a step farther and say: Let's go to the elders AND the entire local congregation and have the elders anoint the sick and pray while ALL are present.

Doesn't that give you goosebumps just picturing it?



That's not fair

"As he passed by, he saw a man blind from birth. And his disciples asked him, “Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?” Jesus answered, “It was not that this man sinned, or his parents, but that the works of God might be displayed in him."

What? I'm offended for this dude!

This guy was blind ALL his life just so Jesus could come along and do a little magic trick to impress his onlookers? Do you see that? It could be interpreted that way.

Or it could be interpreted that God is AWESOME. It is awesome that God chose to have mercy on this sinner at all!

Praise God when He heals AND when He doesn't.


Song of praise:
Can't contain my praise



If you are not on my email list and want my weekly blog, please click the 'subscribe' button.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Believe; Help My Unbelief!

When doubt comes knocking We say we believe. But believe what? We believe Jesus, yes. So why do we doubt then? If we doubt, does this make us unbelievers? Hypocrites? Some days it sure feels like it! Doesn't it? In the book of Mark, it is written that a man came up to Jesus and asked him to heal his son. The man specifically asked Jesus IF he can help him. Jesus responded, "' If you can’? All things are possible for one who believes ”. Jesus emphasized the "If you can", as if to say, "Of course I can, but WILL I, is the question". And, "Will you believe that I will"? The man replied, "I believe; help my unbelief"! Do you ever doubt? Do you ever not believe? Liar If you say you don't doubt as a "believer", then you are a liar. We all doubt, but does this unbelief disqualify us from being a child of God? James says, " 6 But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for the one who doubts is l

You're Not Invited to My Church

Upon arriving in Alabama I was told that everyone would ask me which team I chose and they would then invite me to their church. " Which team "? " What are my options "? I asked. Being the good Yankee that I am, I still have not chosen a team after eight years of residency in good old Alabama. As a matter of fact, I haven't even watched a football game. The invite "If you haven't found a church home, I'd like to invite you to ours" " Hmm, that's funny, you haven't even asked me if I am a believer" ? "Why would I want to come to your church" ? I got invited to dozens of churches the first year I was here. After the pleasant, " You ain't from around here ", I always received the gracious invite. Strangely, I rarely ever get asked where I am from anymore, and I never get invited to church. I'm not sure why I don't get asked where I'm from anymore, but while I was writing this bl

Fear Factor

What do you fear? Fear falling? Fear dying? Fear losing a family member? Fear losing a job? Fear losing money? Fear losing health? Fear that others don't like you? Fear the Boogy Man? What is it that you fear? God instructs us to fear Him. Is fearing God the same as fearing spiders? Don't skim too quickly through the following quotations--let them sink in. Jesus had this to say about fear: “ I tell you, my friends, do not fear those who kill the body, and after that have nothing more that they can do. But I will warn you whom to fear: fear him who, after he has killed, has authority to cast into hell. Yes, I tell you, fear him! Are not five sparrows sold for two pennies? And not one of them is forgotten before God. Why, even the hairs of your head are all numbered. Fear not; you are of more value than many sparrows ." And John tells us this: "God is love, and whoever abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him. By this is love perfecte