Skip to main content

Jesus Has Left the Building.


 I Think Jesus Has Left My Church?


But Grandma, I think Jesus has left?

Have you ever thought that your church's Christianity doesn't look like the Christianity in the bible? Do you think you believe Jesus, but something doesn't seem right at your church? Do you long for the vibrant faith of the first Christians? Does Grandma's faith seem real, but not many other's? Are you afraid to tell Grandma that Jesus might have moved on?

Have you ever thought these thoughts? Or thoughts like them? If so, I don't think you are alone. I think many people ask these questions.




Can Jesus leave? Will Jesus leave?

Do you think Jesus would really leave? Is that even possible?

I think it is not only possible, but I think it has happened to thousands upon thousands of church buildings around the world. Can you say, "dead church"? 
Jesus leaves and man props up his building with programs, potlucks and a whole bunch of guilt and condemnation.
I've heard it said that, "If the Holy Spirit left most churches in our country, the well oiled machine would keep on ticking as if nothing had happened". 
Ouch! 
When Jesus leaves, those left behind either turn the meetings into a nice social club, or worse, they begin to devour one another--blame one another--hate one another. 
In my whole life, I've actually only visited a few churches that I know Jesus has left. They were so dead that I'm almost certain that not any person in the building was actually a believer. 

But, but, but--did he just say that?!

If you've experienced it, then you know what I mean. 
It is very very difficult to see Jesus leave a church building and not know what to do. It's a little easier if you become a nice little social club, but what if the latter occurs? 

Repent and open the door

In the book of Revelation, Jesus says this to one of the churches:

"Those whom I love, I reprove and discipline, so be zealous and repent. Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and eat with him, and he with me."

Jesus isn't begging--He is warning. Jesus is giving us a picture of what it would look like if He was locked out.

Is that possible? Lock Jesus out? 

Maybe not

Jesus said this to another church:

"I know your works. You have the reputation of being alive, but you are dead. Wake up, and strengthen what remains and is about to die"...

So, before you go running out and looking for Jesus, be sure He's not right there within your church. Maybe He hasn't left. Maybe Satan is just trying to deceive you into leaving.


Yup, He's gone. I've checked everywhere. I've checked the sanctuary, the foyer, the kitchen, the dining hall, the library, the Sunday school rooms, the children's church rooms, the nursery, the offices, the family life center and even all ten bathrooms and He is nowhere to be found. He must be outside somewhere.

Your church building?

First, I say "church building", because that's all that is left when Jesus leaves is a building. 
A building where the church formerly met. 
What about you? How is your church doing? Social club? Total wreck? Somewhere in between? 
What are you going to do? 
Do you believe Jesus? Do you want to follow Him---even though He might have left the building? Are you willing to follow Jesus if He leaves the building? 
What about Grandma?




Can I leave? Should I leave? Where would I go?



Maybe you should go to one of those new fancy church gatherings--with lots of lights and a great band? Does that look like the church you read about in the bible? Probably not. So what? Where? 
You just need a church with a good kids program. Right? Maybe not. 
Where's Jesus?

Place to start

Start by confessing your problem to God. Ask Him to help you with your dilemma. 
If you believe God, and His Holy Spirit dwells in you, He will help you. 
Ask God if you are the church He is speaking to in Revelation.
Read your bible.
Tell your pastors about your concerns.
Tell Grandma about your concerns.
Your pastors and Grandma might agree with you--or maybe not--either way you should consult with them first.

So now what?

Maybe Jesus has really left, but He's probably still in town...


Song:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Believe; Help My Unbelief!

When doubt comes knocking We say we believe. But believe what? We believe Jesus, yes. So why do we doubt then? If we doubt, does this make us unbelievers? Hypocrites? Some days it sure feels like it! Doesn't it? In the book of Mark, it is written that a man came up to Jesus and asked him to heal his son. The man specifically asked Jesus IF he can help him. Jesus responded, "' If you can’? All things are possible for one who believes ”. Jesus emphasized the "If you can", as if to say, "Of course I can, but WILL I, is the question". And, "Will you believe that I will"? The man replied, "I believe; help my unbelief"! Do you ever doubt? Do you ever not believe? Liar If you say you don't doubt as a "believer", then you are a liar. We all doubt, but does this unbelief disqualify us from being a child of God? James says, " 6 But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for the one who doubts is l

You're Not Invited to My Church

Upon arriving in Alabama I was told that everyone would ask me which team I chose and they would then invite me to their church. " Which team "? " What are my options "? I asked. Being the good Yankee that I am, I still have not chosen a team after eight years of residency in good old Alabama. As a matter of fact, I haven't even watched a football game. The invite "If you haven't found a church home, I'd like to invite you to ours" " Hmm, that's funny, you haven't even asked me if I am a believer" ? "Why would I want to come to your church" ? I got invited to dozens of churches the first year I was here. After the pleasant, " You ain't from around here ", I always received the gracious invite. Strangely, I rarely ever get asked where I am from anymore, and I never get invited to church. I'm not sure why I don't get asked where I'm from anymore, but while I was writing this bl

I Don't Need Jesus and I Don't Need You

A good christian would never say she doesn't need Jesus and one certainly would not say he doesn't need the church. Right? But as the good little hypocrites that we are, we often say one thing and do something completely contrary. Just think of Peter, " Jesus, I'll die for you"!---"Who's Jesus? I don't even know the dude".  Cock-a-doodle doo. War and death Have you ever noticed the bonds that are created by war and death? In George Washington's farewell address he spends an inordinate amount of time explaining that this,(" You have in a common cause fought and triumphed together'), is a major reason for the success of the people's union. When the emotion wears off--the love will diminish. Think WWII "Victory garden". Where have all the Victory gardens gone? The Federalists spent a great deal of their arguments explaining that, " When the love fades--you will need a strong federal government to protect y