Skip to main content

Propinquity


If you knew me you wouldn't like me


The expert

Do you know what makes someone an expert?
An expert is someone who lives more than fifty miles from you and travels with a briefcase.

We invite these experts to our church meetings, our businesses and other gatherings.

We call them the "Guest speaker".

What makes the "Guest speaker" an expert? Well, he lives more than fifty miles from his speaking venue and he shows up with a briefcase. Or maybe a backpack if he's a hipster.

We even pay these experts to come and present their goods.

Now, I'm not knocking paying knowledgeable people to come to teach others. This is a good thing.

The danger comes in when the "Guest speaker" becomes more than someone who shares knowledge. Dare I say, they become an idol?

We live in a star struck culture and the "experts" are not exempt.

May I have your autograph?

I heard one man who is definitely an "expert" say that sometimes people ask for his autograph when he goes to speaking engagements. He politely, but firmly, denies their request.
He says he does this to emphasize that he is "Just one of you". He's "Just another guy sharing what he has learned".
It's his push back to say, "Don't worship me, I'm just a dude and if you knew me you probably wouldn't like me".

Propinquity

Do you know what that means? Most don't. It's not in common usage. I learned it years ago when I realized I should have studied more in school so my vocabulary wouldn't be so lacking.
I ordered the Verbal Advantage vocabulary cassette tape series from an advertisement on the Rush Limbaugh show.
It was a great program. I really did increase my vocabulary to exponential levels so that I could become pedantic and confidently loquacious.



Propinquity is a term that describes closeness or proximity. Particularly used of kinship, but in general, anything within proximity.

After many years of life, and living in five different states and three different cultures(NE, NW, South), I have observed one commonality among people.
We don't like each other.
Particularly, we don't like those closest to us. Propinquity. I don't mean we don't love those closest to us, but we don't like them.
Why is this?
It's simple--we know each other's faults and nasty habits.
I don't have any faults or nasty habits, but I'm just trying to relate with others!

Back to the expert

When the "expert" rolls into town, we can magically erase any thoughts about his faults or habits. We envision him as having it all together. Especially if the message he delivers is good, then we really set them up on a pedestal.
The "expert" is, or rather, can be an idol. An idol is something you project your desires onto while you are served by it.
Some project their desires onto the "expert" and he serves them by delivering a clean, impersonal, relationship free message. We are free to agree or disagree with the message because, after all, the idol serves us--or does it? Who is really serving whom?

The beast

Okay, that subtitle has nothing to do with what I'm about to say, but it sounded cool.
Electronic technology has accelerated and simplified our ability to create "experts". Now, we don't even have to invite them from more than fifty miles away. Now we can just click on their link. Having many electronic experts allows us to avoid life with those near us. Those we don't like.

Has it ever dawned on you that the people who live around you are somebody else's "experts". Your propinquity people are someone else's heroes. Idols. Experts.

Back to propinquity

What is it about propinquity that makes us not like each other?

We have been going through the book of Judges as a family. Those of you who know anything about Judges know that it's not where you go to learn about how we should live.
The theme of the book is, "Every man did what was right in his own eyes".
Every chapter I remind us that we are not going to look for any moral guidelines from these people, but we will learn a lot about people. And since we are people--we will learn a lot about us.

In chapter 20 the Israelites go to battle with the Benjaminites. The most prominent thing to see in this battle is that it is mentioned multiple times that they are brothers. Propinquity.

In the place where I live and work we go to a lot of gun shootings. It is expected and usually the case that these shootings are relatives. Propinquity.

We love those closest to us, but we don't like them.
Propinquity

Jesus' propinquity

"And they said, “Is not this Joseph's son?” And he said to them, “Doubtless you will quote to me this proverb, ‘“Physician, heal yourself.” What we have heard you did at Capernaum, do here in your hometown as well.’” And he said, “Truly, I say to you, no prophet is acceptable in his hometown.

We know that Jesus "came to his own, and his own people did not receive him". Propinquity.

Our knowledge exceeds our obedience

The rise of fundamentalism in our country brought about a long wave of anti-intellectualism. I believe that, in general, we have fixed that problem. We have now swung in the other direction of becoming so theologically correct, that we may have forgotten our mission.
Do you remember who did that in Jesus' day?

“Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you tithe mint and dill and cumin, and have neglected the weightier matters of the law: justice and mercy and faithfulness. These you ought to have done, without neglecting the others. You blind guides, straining out a gnat and swallowing a camel"! 

"You search the Scriptures because you think that in them you have eternal life; and it is they that bear witness about me, yet you refuse to come to me that you may have life".

Teachers are great. They are a gift from God. But there is a time where we have to ask ourselves if our knowledge is exceeding our obedience.
Has information become a form of spirituality for us?

I know for me, I have ebbed and flowed, but my tendency is definitely to turn knowledge into spirituality. I read about fifty books a year. I have to be careful to not let my desire for knowledge exceed my obedience to Christ.
It has at times.

We have to keep the main thing the main thing. The main thing is Jesus, who dwells inside of us by the Holy Spirit. Propinquity.


Who is in propinquity to you? Which one of them are you avoiding because you don't like them?

Song:

When I Fall












Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Believe; Help My Unbelief!

When doubt comes knocking We say we believe. But believe what? We believe Jesus, yes. So why do we doubt then? If we doubt, does this make us unbelievers? Hypocrites? Some days it sure feels like it! Doesn't it? In the book of Mark, it is written that a man came up to Jesus and asked him to heal his son. The man specifically asked Jesus IF he can help him. Jesus responded, "' If you can’? All things are possible for one who believes ”. Jesus emphasized the "If you can", as if to say, "Of course I can, but WILL I, is the question". And, "Will you believe that I will"? The man replied, "I believe; help my unbelief"! Do you ever doubt? Do you ever not believe? Liar If you say you don't doubt as a "believer", then you are a liar. We all doubt, but does this unbelief disqualify us from being a child of God? James says, " 6 But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for the one who doubts is l

You're Not Invited to My Church

Upon arriving in Alabama I was told that everyone would ask me which team I chose and they would then invite me to their church. " Which team "? " What are my options "? I asked. Being the good Yankee that I am, I still have not chosen a team after eight years of residency in good old Alabama. As a matter of fact, I haven't even watched a football game. The invite "If you haven't found a church home, I'd like to invite you to ours" " Hmm, that's funny, you haven't even asked me if I am a believer" ? "Why would I want to come to your church" ? I got invited to dozens of churches the first year I was here. After the pleasant, " You ain't from around here ", I always received the gracious invite. Strangely, I rarely ever get asked where I am from anymore, and I never get invited to church. I'm not sure why I don't get asked where I'm from anymore, but while I was writing this bl

I Don't Need Jesus and I Don't Need You

A good christian would never say she doesn't need Jesus and one certainly would not say he doesn't need the church. Right? But as the good little hypocrites that we are, we often say one thing and do something completely contrary. Just think of Peter, " Jesus, I'll die for you"!---"Who's Jesus? I don't even know the dude".  Cock-a-doodle doo. War and death Have you ever noticed the bonds that are created by war and death? In George Washington's farewell address he spends an inordinate amount of time explaining that this,(" You have in a common cause fought and triumphed together'), is a major reason for the success of the people's union. When the emotion wears off--the love will diminish. Think WWII "Victory garden". Where have all the Victory gardens gone? The Federalists spent a great deal of their arguments explaining that, " When the love fades--you will need a strong federal government to protect y