Skip to main content

Liquid Love


God, do you exist?

"Are you there? Do you even exist? Please let me know if you are there!" 

When I was around 22ish, I went through a time of wonder. I grew up with a knowledge of the American god who is generally there, but has no purpose in our lives.
Like many young people, we eventually wonder what is true and what is not. I went around for about two weeks and asked everyone I knew if they believed in a god.
You might be surprised to know that out of about 15-20 people, from many different countries around the world, I only found one who believed in god. And she couldn't explain why.
I got frustrated really quickly and found myself alone and in a crisis.
I sat alone at home one night and decided I would ask god himself if he existed.
Imagine that? How brilliant of me...



Dark Side of the Moon

Of course, what better way is there to hold a meeting with god than to crank up Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon album? You're old if you get it! :)
I cranked up the album, probably grabbed a beer, kicked back in my Lazy-Boy and started talking.

"Are you there? Do you even exist? Please let me know if you are there!"

I don't know how long I laid there, but eventually something happened.



Liquid Love

This part is a little difficult to explain. It was like the entire room filled with a liquid of love.
I was completely overwhelmed with His presence! I went from questioning to, "YES, YES, YES! I BELIEVE! YOU ARE HERE!"
This lasted for maybe ten or fifteen minutes--really I don't know--but it was AWESOME!

I went and told everyone I knew that I now believed in God! They weren't as excited as I was. :(

Strangely, I even thought about Jesus, yet for the next many years I searched in many New Age spiritual books to try and find an explanation to what I experienced. Sadly, none of them helped me find it.

I never looked to the church, because as far as I knew, they were dead and there wasn't anything like I experienced to be found there.



But, Jesus

Fast forward to the summer of 2000, when I was 29 years old, and the real Jesus came to get me.
I read the bible for the first time and everything came to life and Jesus revealed that it was Him I was looking for the whole time.


Lord, help my unbelief!

Fast forward again to recent years.
God has been the source of many changes in my life, but none so profound as the last few years.
In the last few years God has really humbled me and called me back the simple faith I once had.
He has called me to believe again.
I know that sounds odd, but we really can harden our hearts in the midst of life's struggles.
Life sucks and it can really crush us.
We have a spiritual enemy who will consistently remind us how much we suck.
We think we are so smart--we think we are so strong--we think we are so important.

The devil is right--we suck! We are weaklings! But Jesus.

Jesus said, "Apart from me, you can do nothing".

We need to agree with the devil--We are nothing without our Lord and God Jesus Christ!
We need to trust Jesus--in EVERYTHING!



God, What is this thing You are doing?

Last night, on Friday the 13th, I woke up at 11:30. I had slept so hard that I thought it was morning.
As I sat on the couch wide awake at midnight, I began to pray and worship God. It was just what I needed.
I think I have prayed and worshiped more just in the last few years than I had in all the previous years since I met Jesus.

As I prayed and worshiped, I remembered "liquid love".

I kicked back in my recliner, put on Dark Side of the Moon, and worshiped.

I reminded God of that time, some 28ish years ago when He came and visited a pitiful young man.
I asked Him if He would please do it again.

"God, please come visit this pitiful old man."

He came! Liquid love filled the room and chills ran through my body! It was completely overwhelming and AWESOME! "YES, LORD. I BELIEVE!" 

Liquid love!

I cried--I worshiped--I loved--I prayed.

God is doing a thing amongst us, won't you join me and worship Him?




Worship song:

https://youtu.be/nGncW_ueyHA



























Comments

  1. I like how you phrased it...that Jesus came to get you. I think that's exactly how I felt, though I was much younger. I think he came for me early because I had such potential for disaster.
    I know we are supposed to count it joy because these challenges we face make us closer to Jesus, but it is hard for me to know my friends go through hard things. Facebook makes things seem so idyllic. I am so happy for you and your huge family...the adoptions, your beautiful acreage, all those eggs and pounds of bacon, etc. If I didnt love y'all so much, I could easily covrt! But in fact, your family's blessings are my answered prayers and faith affirming for me. I pray God continues to reward your faithfulness nd efforts to connect with Him.
    I am not a fan of drug culture music or lyrics. I did see Pink Floyd in concert and spent the next several weeks wishing I hadn't.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I Believe; Help My Unbelief!

When doubt comes knocking We say we believe. But believe what? We believe Jesus, yes. So why do we doubt then? If we doubt, does this make us unbelievers? Hypocrites? Some days it sure feels like it! Doesn't it? In the book of Mark, it is written that a man came up to Jesus and asked him to heal his son. The man specifically asked Jesus IF he can help him. Jesus responded, "' If you can’? All things are possible for one who believes ”. Jesus emphasized the "If you can", as if to say, "Of course I can, but WILL I, is the question". And, "Will you believe that I will"? The man replied, "I believe; help my unbelief"! Do you ever doubt? Do you ever not believe? Liar If you say you don't doubt as a "believer", then you are a liar. We all doubt, but does this unbelief disqualify us from being a child of God? James says, " 6 But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for the one who doubts is l

You're Not Invited to My Church

Upon arriving in Alabama I was told that everyone would ask me which team I chose and they would then invite me to their church. " Which team "? " What are my options "? I asked. Being the good Yankee that I am, I still have not chosen a team after eight years of residency in good old Alabama. As a matter of fact, I haven't even watched a football game. The invite "If you haven't found a church home, I'd like to invite you to ours" " Hmm, that's funny, you haven't even asked me if I am a believer" ? "Why would I want to come to your church" ? I got invited to dozens of churches the first year I was here. After the pleasant, " You ain't from around here ", I always received the gracious invite. Strangely, I rarely ever get asked where I am from anymore, and I never get invited to church. I'm not sure why I don't get asked where I'm from anymore, but while I was writing this bl

I Don't Need Jesus and I Don't Need You

A good christian would never say she doesn't need Jesus and one certainly would not say he doesn't need the church. Right? But as the good little hypocrites that we are, we often say one thing and do something completely contrary. Just think of Peter, " Jesus, I'll die for you"!---"Who's Jesus? I don't even know the dude".  Cock-a-doodle doo. War and death Have you ever noticed the bonds that are created by war and death? In George Washington's farewell address he spends an inordinate amount of time explaining that this,(" You have in a common cause fought and triumphed together'), is a major reason for the success of the people's union. When the emotion wears off--the love will diminish. Think WWII "Victory garden". Where have all the Victory gardens gone? The Federalists spent a great deal of their arguments explaining that, " When the love fades--you will need a strong federal government to protect y